Data Set One
2013-2017 American Community Survey Detailed Census
- This data set was collected as a census and community survey which includes the characteristics of the individuals living inside KCMO. The individuals that were sampled included every type of person imaginable, from different ages, race, gender, income level, education level, etc. The individuals that were sampled in this data are absolutely representative of the characters in assignment one because teenagers in highschool and elders that are in need are sampled in this data set. Since the census is such a large data set with a broad and almost endless amount of information, there couldn’t be a risk for disclosure of identifiable information simply because the sample number is too large. In terms of over and under sampling, more of the data is based on the adult samples because there’s simply no need for information on children.
- The data records observations such as who is inside KCMO or not, male or female, white/black/native american/asian/pacific/multiracial/other race/hispanic, ages ranging from 0-75+, elderly population, households with elderly householders, housing situations, marriage status, job description, income, poverty, education, disabilities. The data set only contains observations and no events, activities, or behaviors. The data that would be useful for our team assignment specifically is the elderly population, households with elderly householders, individuals with disabilities, income level, etc.
- These observations took place and were collected during the 2010 Census and the 2013-2017 American Community Survey. This data is longitudinal because it was collected over several points in time for relatively the same sample and the data only changed at an individual level. It is real-time data that was collected over a number of different years. The latest update was from three years ago, so it isn’t considered old data, but not necessarily new either. The data is still valid, although it could be slightly different now that COVID-19 has hit the world.
- The observation took place as an official collection of data that occurs every 10 years in America for all Americans. It is basically to count the number of individuals present in America while gathering information about them.
- For the Census, individuals are required to submit answers to a government produced survey. For the American Community Survey, a partial sample of the communities of KCMO was collected by survey but was not required like the Census.
Data Set Two
Retail Grocery by Size and CTG Map
- This data set is about food establishments. All food establishments in Kansas City, Missouri must be permitted annually and inspected regularly by the Food Protection Program. This map is representative of the main characters of Assignment One because this is what our app is about: delivering groceries to the elderly and differently-abled in Kansas City, Missouri. There is not a risk of any disclosed unidentifiable information because the Food Protection Program is a city-run program with the department of public health that holds public records about the food establishments permitted annually and inspected regularly.
- The observations recorded by the data set are of active (open and ran) grocery stores in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area. Also, recorded by the data set is the size of each food establishment through color differentiation. The main colors shown at red (under 3,000 sq ft.) and yellow (3,001-40,000 sq ft.). The data set records the targeted material in Team Assignment Two because we need to know the grocery stores in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area that are liscensed up to date in order to deliver from them.
- The observations took place and were collected in the summer of 2014. The data set is longitudinal because it involved repeated observations of the same variables over a long period of time. The data is real time and fresh. The last recorded update was August 5, 2020. The generalization that can be made across time to inform Assignment One is that these food establishment keep up with being permitted annually and inspected regularly.
- The observations took place and were collected in the Kansas City, Missouri metro area by the Food Protection Program run by the Department of Public Health in the city. The data set does contain geographical information. The data set is visualzed as a Google Map with zoom capabilities. Zoomed all the way out is the total number of food establishments observed then zoomed in a bit is the total number of food established observed within the specific counties/municipalities. Once a county or municipality is selected, the food establishments in that area will be dotted by a specific color based on its size and located in its marginal proximity. The generalization that can be made across settings to inform Assignment One is that there is some kind of food establishment located in each region of the Kansas City, Missouri metro area.
- The observations took place because all food establishments in Kansas City, Missouri must be permitted annually and inspected regularly. The data was collected because the Food Protection Program run by the KCMO Deparment of Public Health must keep these records updated and public to the citizens of the city.